Monday, July 30, 2012

Revival ∞ / Initial Album of the Week

It's been a while since I last posted on this, but by now that goes without saying on Blog Name Pending. Today I was frustrated by the Internet's lack of an album club. I tweeted that I wished there was a club that selected an album, new or old, each week to listen to and then discuss. This would be a cool way to discover music that you haven't heard before and to revisit old favorites. I think it would be cool (if this club had enough people) for the members to nominate albums and then to vote to select the album of the week. For the purposes of getting the ball rolling, I've selected the album of the week myself this time.


Laughing Stock
Talk Talk
1991


This summer's music obsession for me has been alternative/indie rock from the 1990s. I rekindled my love for Pavement's lackadaisical anthems in June, and quickly branched out and discovered Built To Spill and Guided By Voices. In an effort to find more cool alternative albums from the 90s, I decided to check out Talk Talk's last album on a whim. I'd heard of it before and had seen it on some "Best of the 90s" lists (lists are another obsession of mine), but I'd never listened to it before yesterday. I was blown away. Laughing Stock is my biggest unexpected surprise in a long time. Mark Hollis' project started out creating synthpop, but by the end of Talk Talk's run, they had un-sold out, diving headfirst into experimental art rock with jazz sprinkles. Laughing Talk is sprawling, comprised of only six songs, two of which are nearly ten minutes long and only one of which is under five. It is sparse at times, and wild at others, but the band holds nothing back, and there's always a feeling of jazz improvisation and expressionism. Check it out, I promise you won't regret it.

Comment and let me know what you think about Laughing Stock, and nominate albums you'd like to see as an Album of the Week! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is why you should join forums! I'll try to give this a listen this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what forums should I join Pat?????

    ReplyDelete