Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Greatest Songs Ever Written: A Series (Part 2b)

This is the third entry in my series on the Greatest Songs Ever Written.  It is also the second in a set of entries that feature deceased artists.

"No Woman, No Cry" performed by Bob Marley and the Wailers
(written by Vincent Ford)




This is a song that makes me want to cry every time I hear it, even though he's supposed to be telling a woman not to cry.  Even though Bob Marley had some rather eccentric beliefs, this song shows me that he really loved to make music.  It's especially apparent in that video or any of his live performances; he really enjoys being up on stage and having fun with his band.

This song is just nice.  One memory I have of this song is coming back from Cedar Point with some friends earlier this summer.  We were riding in the car, it was overcast, and becoming dark.  Everyone was tired and ready to relax after a long day.  This song came on, and when it got to the "everything's gonna be alright" part, I just felt... comfortable.  That memory is almost more clear to me than the entire day.  Thanks Bob.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, just a short lil baby post.  School is (mostly) in full swing these days, so I have even less time than usual to blog.  But somehow I have more drive to do it...  Also, there's so much new music I'm trying to listen to OMG look at how stacked September is/has been:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (9-13)
Das Racist - Relax (9-13)
Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost (9-13)
Wild Flag - Wild Flag (9-13)
Toro Y Moi - Freaking Out EP (9-13)
Wilco - The Whole Love (9-27)
Also Big K.R.I.T's album was supposed to come out on the 27th but I guess it isn't anymore.

Dang, das alotta albumz.  I'm estimating that probably over half of those will be recognized on my year-end list.  And I'm sure there's tons of other stuff that I'm forgetting.  You should check out some of those.  Especially the Wilco album.  It already leaked, and it's fantastic.  Top five material, for sure.  I'll leave you with one of the choice cuts from that album (and the only one of which I can find a decent version on Youtube).

2 comments:

  1. great i love this, i love wilco and st. vincent so much right now too. im sure they are gonna be on my most favorite from this year.

    ReplyDelete