Saturday, February 26, 2011

Look Sharp

Oh, okay, whatever... So last post I said that post would probably be the last one for a while. So I misled y'all. I'm sorry. Mind you, there's still plenty of schoolwork that I should be doing for my midterms and stuff, but it's Oscar weekend. Thus...

If I Picked the Winners - Academy Awards 2010

When Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel (later Richard Roeper and a host of others) used to have their "At The Movies" review show, they did a segment called "If We Picked The Winners," in which they described who they would pick for the Academy's top awards (duh... srry). The show was, sadly, cancelled, and clips of it are now quite hard to find. Here's a clip of one of these segments from 1991. It's not actually on the show.. but whatever... they usually actually did the segment on the show I think.. anyway... The show used to be my favorite thing for a while before it was cancelled. This is sort of my homage to the show. Also, I've seen all of the Best Picture nominees and then some, so I figure I have some sort of a valid opinion on this. I'll do my awards in the same order Ebert and Siskel do in the clip.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Nominees:

Javier Bardem in Biutiful
Jeff Bridges in True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network
Colin Firth in The King's Speech
James Franco in 127 Hours

My pick: Colin Firth

Bridges, Eisenberg, Firth, and Franco are all very strong (Biutiful is the only movie out of these I haven't seen, so I'll decline to comment on Bardem's performance), but Firth truly demonstrates his talent as an actor here by playing a painfully awkward man on screen. Every emotion the King felt, I felt as well, due to this top-notch work by Firth. (See my full-ish review of The King's Speech here.)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Nominees:

Amy Adams in The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter in The King's Speech
Melissa Leo in The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit
Jacki Weaver in Animal Kingdom

My pick: Hailee Steinfeld

This is a really interesting set of nominees, because clearly Steinfeld's performance is in a leading role. She really holds her own very well against the veteran actors Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. The Academy obviously nominated her here because she has more of a chance to win, and I think she will. That is, unless Helena Bonham Carter, who I would pick if Steinfeld was nominated where she should be instead of here, pulls off an upset. You can find more of my thoughts on True Grit here.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Nominees:

Annette Bening in The Kids are All Right
Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman in Black Swan
Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine

My pick: Natalie Portman

Portman is very convincing in this role. Terrifyingly so. She really shines. Read more about the movie and her performance in this post.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Nominees:

Christian Bale in The Fighter
John Hawkes in Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner in The Town
Mark Ruffalo in The Kids are All Right
Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech

My pick: Jeremy Renner

Renner is really one of the best up-and-coming actors of our time. He is fantastic in 2009's The Hurt Locker, and he is equally as intense and convincing in The Town as he was in that movie. He won't win, everyone loves Christian Bale, but he really should. He is fantastic. Read more about The Town here.

(I'm gonna do one that they Siskel and Ebert didn't do real quick...)

Achievement in Directing

Nominees:

Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan
David O. Russell for The Fighter
Tom Hooper for The King's Speech
David Fincher for The Social Network
Joel and Ethan Coen for True Grit

My pick: David Fincher

There are two people who should have been nominated for this category but weren't: Christopher Nolan (Inception) and Danny Boyle (127 Hours). Both of those guys really know how to make a movie. Had they both been nominated, I would probably pick Danny Boyle. Since they aren't, I'll pick Fincher, who also really knows how to make a movie. The Social Network is a masterpiece of our time, and even though most of its genius comes from Aaron Sorkin's brilliant script, the picture Fincher has created from that script is fantastic. Read more about his movie here.

Best Motion Picture

Nominees:

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

My pick: The Social Network

Everyone who knows me knows how much I love this movie. I've seen it three times, and each successive time it's been just as intriguing to me as the time before. Everything comes together so perfectly. I truly believe it is a masterpiece. If you care at all about movies, you should definitely see this one. You can read more of my praise for the movie here.

Okay. Well, be sure to tune in to the telecast tomorrow night to see who wins! I'll be simultaneously tweeting my thoughts during it, so feel free to follow me and be annoyed by the fact that I'm tweeting every thirty seconds.

The video I'll close this post with is dedicated to my good friend and fellow blogger Patrick, who honored me with a shoutout in his last post. He's more experienced than I, and his blog is certainly more interesting than mine, so you should check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment